Re: Boot problems on an old TM5000

On Sat, 2002-02-02 at 20:09, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 12:33:40PM -0300, Pablo F. Gimenez Turk wrote:
> > I've got an old Texas Instruments TravelMate 5000 notebook with a Pentium 75Mhz PCI-Bus and 24Mb RAM, just for testing purposes, and whatever installation package I select (base, compact, idepci) always get the same after the root: prompt:
> >
> > PCI: Discovered primary peer bus XX
> >
> > (where XX are ascending hexa values)
> >
> > I'm booting from rescue.bin disk on floppy disk images in order to partition, format and finally install Debian on this machine.
> >
> > I'll appreciate your answer a lot:
>
> Have you tried re-burning the floppies or using other floppies?
> Floppies often cause problems, though i haven't seen this one yet.

I don't think a bad floppy could cause this kind of thing - or at least,
it doesn't seem very likely.  This pretty much has to be a kernel bug
or, considering how old the machine is, a BIOS32 bug that the kernel is
failing to work around.

Try booting with the "pci=nobios" argument.  Or try the 2.4 flavour when
that becomes available (maybe it is already, I haven't really been
keeping track).

p.