Re: [i386] introducing a kernel 2.4 installation flavor

#include <hallo.h>
John H. Robinson, IV wrote on Tue Jan 15, 2002 um 10:56:58AM:

> provided we can meet the following criteria, i have no objections to the
> use of 2.4.x, and dropping of 2.2.x:
>
> 1) (mandatory) we are still able to use ext3/resierfs/xfs(if available)
>    as the root partition. this would either mean building the install
>    kernel with ext3/resierfs/xfs(if available) statictly in the kernel
>    (unlikely) or include them as modules int he RAM disk (possible, but
>    might take up more room on the root disk that we don't really have).

Works with the new flavor - I made a test installation on a small
partition. The boot floppies installation part worked fine.

Now, the kernel & pcmcia package are waiting in incoming.

> 2) (optional, but nice) we are able to support a 2.2.x install by the
>    end user dropping in a 2.2.x kernel by following the instructions for
>    using a custom kernel

I think, we should add mkreiserfs to all i386 flavors. This is the only
difference between reiserfs and other flavors - I do not see the reason
why - the current configuration gives us enough room. Doing so, the user
can get the vanilla kernel source, patch with reiserfs/ide/ext3/... patches
and put the image on the vanilla rescue disk.

> basically, i don't want to see us lose our options to support multiple
> filesystems on the root partition. it would be great if one flavour
> could do all supported filesystems, and it looks like 2.4.x will be able
> to do that.

It does support Ext2/Ext3/Reiser., except of the XFS because of a)
missing availability in the main kernel and b) space. The bf2.4 kernel
is hard on the limit of the 1.44meg floppy. If you add something, you
would have to drop ext3 for example. OTOH, I doubt that XFS code is
smaller than ext3 driver, so forget XFS.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Sie haben soeben ihren Mauszeiger erfolgreich bewegt.
Sie müssen Windows neu starten damit die Änderungen wirksam werden.