kernel panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs install errror 01:00

Hi,

Problem:

I'm trying to get a server built with 2.2r4 potato cd and keep getting
the above error.  I tried the boot options in f2-f8 and tried mounting
various root.bins from specifying floppy0 at boot: then got kernel
panic: no init found try passing init= option to kernel.  I looked up
the errors on the deb user list and found similar questions but no
answers.

One posting says: 'Your kernel does not support initrd and/or ramdisk.'
But the suggestion is dependant on a shell and I can't get a console
started.

Another says:  This is a common problem and it has only a few causes.
First, check the device XX:YY against the list of device codes in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/devices.txt. If it is incorrect, you
probably didn't do an rdev -R, or you did it on the wrong image. If the
device code is correct, then check carefully the device drivers compiled
into your kernel. Make sure it has floppy disk, ramdisk and ext2
filesystem support built-in.  <-- informative but doesn't help right
now.

I have a rh7.2 disk I tried to boot with to test and had no problem
other than not wanting a rh install.

Another post I found via google said the only way that user got around
the error was to compile the kernel elseware and then move it to the
failing system but I don't know how to do that.

Kernel-image is 2.2.19-4potato.2

Hardware: dell poweredge 350 1u server p3850 512 sdram ecc 2 20gig ide
drives which are being detected by install script 2 intel pro 100 isa
nics and one intell pro 100 pci nic.

Thanks for any help, Justin

PS:  if anyone replies from the debian-boot list can they please post to
the debian-user list since I'm not subscribed to the boot list.