Re: upgrade to Woody's SILO doesn't work

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 12:48:24AM -0500, Mario Lombardo wrote:

> 1. Installed old Potato 2.2r2 hard disk in SCSI bus under target zero
> 2. Did a STOP-A, set the automatic boot under printenv (setenv) to false
> 3. 'reset' the machine
> 4. at the PROM prompt I typed 'boot disk0'
> 5. When I logged into Linux under root, I mounted the non-bootable disk
> under /mnt/bigdisk
> 6. I ran 'silo -r /mnt/bigdisk' with some other forgotten options to
> force a write of the boot block  (see the SILO manual
> http://silo.sourceforge.net/)
> 7. rebooted and all was ok

If that's all you did, then it sounds like one of two things happened.
Either you didn't allow silo to rerun itself when it upgraded, or
something in your boot block got corrupted.

I've never heard of this problem occuring, and quite honestly, as the
current SILO upstream maintainer, I can tell you I've done a lot of
upgrades of the SILO package from 0.9.x to current 1.2.x versions.

Ben

/                   Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux                  \