Re: upgrade to Woody's SILO doesn't work

[to SLUG: see thread subject "Need public Linux tftp and/or bootp server" 2001/11/04 19:32EST] by mario@alienscience.com

My final reply and resolution is at the bottom... -ML

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

Mario Lombardo <mario@alienscience.com> writes:

I upgraded from Potato's SILO to Woody's SILO in a mass upgrade from
Potato to Woody.  SILO comes up ok, but it doesn't boot any kernel.
Also, I try to point it to the right name and still it's no go.  Any
ideas how this happened, and what I can do to fix it?

File a bug with the appropriate severity on the 'silo' package.  We're
not involved in that package's maintenance.

For now, I've found an old disk with Debian Potato that has allowed me
to boot the system and have a look at the disk.  I have no floppy
drive for this thing!

Huh.  Seems to work for me, but you should also indicate which version
you are using.

Ok I'll file a bug.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "indicate which version", so I'm supplying some information just for the record:

Upgraded from SILO 0.9.8 to SILO 1.2.3
Sun SPARCstation 5 256MB RAM 18.2GB disk
was running Debian Potato 2.2r2 now running the latest (oops!) testing version (I guess it's Woody?)

I'm running now, but this is what I did to get it going:

1. Installed old Potato 2.2r2 hard disk in SCSI bus under target zero
2. Did a STOP-A, set the automatic boot under printenv (setenv) to false
3. 'reset' the machine
4. at the PROM prompt I typed 'boot disk0'
5. When I logged into Linux under root, I mounted the non-bootable disk under /mnt/bigdisk 6. I ran 'silo -r /mnt/bigdisk' with some other forgotten options to force a write of the boot block (see the SILO manual http://silo.sourceforge.net/)
7. rebooted and all was ok

Thanks!

Mario