boot-problems

Hallo,

I faced the following problem when trying to install Debian GNU/linux 3.0 beta
on my machine:

the boot process stops after detecting  hda/hdb/hdc drives. After reaching this
level the screen gets black and nothing is going on any more.
I don´t know what to do, how to get Linux installed. Maybe you can give me some hints or how to solve the problem (I´m not a Linux expert, just beginner).

Information on my machine:

AMD Athlon 1.4GHz,
Motherboard MS-6380 ATX K7T266Pro (VIA VT8366, VT8233 FSB 200/266MHz)
KyroII-Graphic-Chip

Many thanks for your efforts

M.Derksen

P.S.: work with Windows2000 without any problems