Re: boot-floppies auto partitioning & hardware detection

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:04:36PM -0700, David Kimdon wrote:

> partition_config.c : If there is only one drive, assume that is the drive we
> want to partition.  FIXME: do we like this?
> Ask the user if they want to auto partition the drive.  If so then take the first
> drive and divide it into 3 partitions boot 20M, swap 200M and root (rest of space).

is this code intended to be portable, or #if #cpu(i386) ?

if its meant to be portable note that not all archs can boot from a
boot sector, most powerpcs for example require an 800K bootstrap
partition where the bootblocks are installed, depending on the subarch
this will be a Apple_Bootstrap type (macs, mac partition tables) or
0x41 (PReP, IBM CHRP, msdos partition tables).

ia64 also requires a similar bootstrap partition.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/