Re: boot-floppies auto partitioning & hardware detection

Looks fine to me. Selective comments below.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, David Kimdon wrote:

> 4. I reworked the choose_medium.c patch so now we verify that it is the right
> cdrom. (see choose_medium.c and util.[ch]).  I don't have a cdrom to test with, and
> I'm not sure if that is the right way to test . . .

Looks ok to me. I would have expected there would be already some routine
that can figure out the disk number.

> 5. in extract_base.c I added a boxPopWindow(), plus I noticed copycd doesn't
> make sense if we just did a net install.  The way I worked around that might
> not be perfect,  perhaps you have a better idea?

The solution to this might be simply not to specify copycd if doing a net
install. The advantage of specifying options on the syslinux prompt is
that those options can be specified as needed.

> 7. pcidetect needs to be added to the root filesystem, presumably
> rootdisk.sh needs to add it, I don't remember seeing that in the
> patch.

The pcidetect script was separate from the patch and the file location was
given in rootdisk/prototype/bin. Here is the snippet again:

New file scripts/rootdisk/prototype/bin/pcidetect which loads drivers
mappable via the pci registers:

#!/bin/sh

# Pci Driver loading and detection for the currently running kernel
# This script has to run under ash otherwise it will not work in the
# boot-floppies environment!
#
# Christoph Lameter <christoph@lameter.com>, October 15, 2001

VERBOSE=0
MODPROBE=0

loaddriver() {
  echo $1
  if [ $MODPROBE -eq 1 ]; then
     modprobe $1
  fi
}

driver() {
  VER=`uname -r`
  LINE=`grep "0x0000${2%????} 0x0000${2#????}" /lib/modules/$VER/modules.pcimap`
  if [ $? = 0 ]; then
     loaddriver $LINE
  else
     if [ $VERBOSE -eq 1 ]; then