Re: mount_partition() and filesystem types

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 06:59:40PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:

> Problems should be reported upstream where apropriate, not to assign blame,
> but so the upstream author knows about it and can fix it for all users of that
> piece of software

and let boot-floppies be broken for who knows how many monthes/years
while upstream thinks about fixing it?

sorry, i prefer to do what needs to be done to get boot-floppies
solid, and remove as many chances for random elements to break it as
possible, debootstrap is bad enough, we don't need to open more holes
for busybox, the kernel, random filesystems and other assorted crap to
introduce bugs unexpectedly.

mount -t auto is a huge random element which is just ASKING for bugs
and random failures, critical failures, to appear in boot-floppies any
at time.

at a time when all it takes is a new version of ppp to plop into woody
to completly annihilate a formally working set of boot-floppies we don't
need to be talking about adding more possiblities for things like that
to happen.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/