Re: request for help to make powerpc custom boot disks

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 03:10:50PM +0200, damsnet@free.fr wrote:

> What kernel to use exactly: vmlinux.coff? vmlinux.gz? ....
> How to make the boot disk? using Miboot?
>
> What I have tried for now is to change the kernel of the Debian bootdisk,
> then bless the floppy with hattrib and try to boot on it. But none of my kernels
> worked, althought I used the .config from kernel-patch-2.2.19-powerpc and I
> correctly patched the kernel sources with the patch.

Does the latest woody boot-floppies not work on these machines?

I wrote some documentation which I haven't managed to commit to the
woody installation manual yet. Maybe this will be the boot I need.
You'll need to read
<http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/doc/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html#s-rescue-replace-kernel>
and sort of add in the following. If it doesn't make sense, then let's
work on improving it.

This is based on the miboot system that boot-floppies uses.

The boot-floppy-hfs.img can be gotten from
<http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/powermac/images-1.44/>.

10.3 Replacing the Rescue Floppy Kernel for PowerMac

<snip>
Comment on kernel list.
Minix file support is not required and I don't think msdos is either.
ext2 certainly is? Is hfs? I'd guess not, but it's probably a
recommends.
<snip until after the kernel list>

Download a set of boot floppies. You will need the hfsutils package
installed.

Your custom kernel should be named something like vmlinux when you're
done building it. You will need to gzip -9 that file.

You need to update the boot-floppy-hfs.img disk for initial booting.
hmount boot-floppy-hfs.img
hcopy -r vmlinux.gz :zImage
humount

You need to update the rescue disk since the installation gets the files
from there. Mount the rescue disk image something like the following.
        mount -t auto -o loop rescue.bin /mnt

Assuming you used /mnt as the mount point, copy your custom kernel to
the file linux.gz on /mnt.

If you want to be complete about it, you'll also want to gzip the
System.map from your custom kernel and place it on /mnt as sys_map.gz
and the .config as place it on /mnt as config.gz.

Now you can umount your disk image and burn your floppies.

One additional caveat, you will probably want to "Install Kernel and
Driver Modules" using the floppies you just built to get your custom
kernel installed on the hard drive.

HTH,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>