Re: bootloader for woody

Hi Robert, hi Erik,

On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Thu Oct 04, 2001 at 11:40:16PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > I'd like to suggest using the GRUB bootloader. As I see it, there's
> > an important advantage in using GRUB:

why don't you suggest it then ;)

> > - GRUB will be able to boot the future Debian releases of GNU/Hurd,
> > GNU/FreeBSD, GNU/Win without going through the mess fo having
> > different bootloaders in every boot sector.

GNU/{FreeBSD,Win} are far from being released.

> I'd love it if we use grub.  But keep in mind that grub is only
> focused on x86 systems.  It doesn't do much good on powerpc or arm or

Well lilo is focused on x86 systems as well. Have a look at the "case
$ARCH in"-loop in /usr/lib/debootstrap/scripts/woody to see which boot
loaders are used for which architecture.

Using grub instead of lilo is something the i386 people would have to
decide. But I don't know if anybody has made the effort to create
something similar to liloconfig for grub yet.

Kind regards,
Jens

--
ruehmkorf at informatik dot uni hyphen koeln dot de