Re: boot-floppies, busybox size reduction status

Hi all,

> So Adam, is it agreeable that I upload a version of busybox to the
> main archive with these changes?  David has now validated that this is
> viable and saves space.

earlier in this list it has been suggested to have a busybox-bf package in
addition to the normal busybox package. I would strongly encourage this,
though for different reasons:

1. Right now I'm working on a customized initrd for our beowulf cluster (I
use netboot/pxelinux, so I'm not limited to 1440Kb).  The testing process
of b-f for woody has found quite some bugs for busybox, which is a good
thing. So I want to use the newest versions available. But currently quite
often some functions are added/disabled which keeps me changing my
scripts.

2. People might like to install busybox in a chroot to test it out. Having
all functions available at a fingertip would be really nice (instead of
having to build it yourself to test the other functionality).

There is more use for busybox. So please add an additional busybox-bf
package that you can use to reduce size aiming at b-f.

Kind regards,
Jens Ruehmkorf

--
ruehmkorf at informatik dot uni hyphen koeln dot de