Re: Install From Floppy and CD-ROM

> I am attempting to install Debian on a fairly old machine (Intel 486) which
> can't be set up to boot from the CD.  I have created the rescue and root
> floppy disks and am able to boot using them.  However, the installation
> does not give me the possibility of installing the system from the CD (only
> from floppies, a hard disk or a mounted filesystem.

Is this potato boot-floppies? In the current boot-floppies, the cdrom is at
the top of the list after selecting Install Kernel and Modules.

>  1. Is it possible to install the way I intended (boot from floppy, install
> from CD-ROM)?  If so, am I not able to because of the age of my machine or
> some configuration problem?
>
>  2. What would you suggest I do?  I do not have any DOS diskettes and the
> machine's hard drive has no OS on it.

Shoudl be able to use the CD as you intend. If you're using potato, try
woody instead.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |           Chris Tillman                              |
|   `-    |           tillman@azstarnet.com                      |