Re: build failure on ia32

On Tue Sep 04, 2001 at 04:18:42PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> yup but again i still need busybox reduction since none of this reiser
> stuff is on the powerpc disks, and i still have a problem with space
> there.

Hmm.  Then something must be eating up all that space -- powerpc
binaries are not that much bigger then x86 binaries...  Is library
reduction not working on powerpc?

> besides just read -user archives for how useful reiserfsck really is,
> you may as well symlink it to mkreiserfs.

LOL!

> > If we really need to include these, I can see a couple options.  We could
> > switch to cramfs (and the 2.4.x kernels it requires).  Or we could switch
> > making just a boot floppy which is then used to bootstrap a larger bf system
> > image.
>
> that could be complicated...
>
> why again are we not using minix for the root floppy filesystem?  its
> a bit more space efficient no?

Well, since we have to mount the target fs, we already have to pay most of the
price for ext2 anyways (the size of mkfs.ext2 and the size of the kernel ext2
code).   So switching to minixfs isn't going to save us all that much.  If we
are going to bother with changing filesystems, IMHO only cramfs really makes
sense.  Redhat switched their installer to using cramfs and apparently gained
quite a lot of space that way...

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, andersen@lineo.com