Re: BSE 0.2 -- ext3 patch for 3.0.9 ready

#include <hallo.h>
Adam Di Carlo wrote on Fri Aug 10, 2001 um 02:06:02PM:

> I suppose ext3 and parted go together for some reason?  If so why?

Nope. First I integrated parted since I wanted to have BFs that can be
used to resize WinDOS filesystems (FIPS sucks compared to parted). Then
I had spare time, so Ext3 became just I goodie since I was experimenting
with it and created the kernel-patch-2.2.19-ext3 package.

> If not, can you unpack the patches so they are separate?

Okay.

> What exactly is the benefit of using ext3 in the context of the
> boot-floppies?  Just so that the user is formatting their target disk
> with ext3 right (a la reiserfs).

It is not a real problem to change to ext3 on-the-fly, this don't have
high priority.

> Well, FYI, I can't really take the ext3 stuff mainstream until the
> kernel-image package is in Debian (unstable at least).

I know. I suggest to let the code there (it is activated automaticaly
when flavor=ext3 is given)

> > Probe more FS types on floppies, I droped msdos support from my kernel
> > and used vfat instead.
>
> This patch should be split out and applied.  It doesn't require parted
> or ext3 to be useful, and it seems to be the right thing to do.

Okay, I will split the whole thing in small patches and send them
separated.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Wozu Handbuecher? Die Leute, die darin lesen sollten, tun es sowieso nicht...