Re: BSE 0.2 -- ext3 patch for 3.0.9 ready

Eduard Bloch <edi@gmx.de> writes:

> I created a new set of my Special Edition boot floppies with kernel
> 2.4.7, ext3 flavor and integrated GNU parted. The compiled version will
> be uploaded to http://people.debian.org/~blade/bf-ext3/ when ready and I
> could provide a user HOWTO. They install fine on my testing system.

I don't know if I'm happy with the additional space usages.  It's
more of a priority to get the i18n version going.  I wanna do that
first and see how much space we have left.

I suppose ext3 and parted go together for some reason?  If so why?
If not, can you unpack the patches so they are separate?

What exactly is the benefit of using ext3 in the context of the
boot-floppies?  Just so that the user is formatting their target disk
with ext3 right (a la reiserfs).

Comments on the comments...

> When we are going to release woody with kernel-2.2.19 (or even 20?),
> someone should package kernel-image-2.2.19-ext3. Is anyone willing too
> or should I approach this task?

Well, FYI, I can't really take the ext3 stuff mainstream until the
kernel-image package is in Debian (unstable at least).

I would approach Herbert Xu and ask this question of him.

> As wrotten in a previous mail, I don't see any sence in this [^a-zA-Z],
> removing it.

I have a patch I'll apply shortly that fixes this.

> Probe more FS types on floppies, I droped msdos support from my kernel
> and used vfat instead.

This patch should be split out and applied.  It doesn't require parted
or ext3 to be useful, and it seems to be the right thing to do.

> I am not sure at this point: should ext3 be used by default if the user
> doesn't care?

No, please don't use it by default yet.