Re: serial console install - boot-floppies woody 3.0

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 11:29:54PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > "John H. Robinson, IV" <jhriv@ucsd.edu> writes:
> >
> > > it looks like update_console_info() in
> > > ./utilities/dbootstrap/baseconfig.c is the place to fix this.
> >
> > Hmm, are you suggesting the console args should be parsed from
> > /proc/cmdline and then we frob around in inittab to set this?

that's exactly what i did. if the speed is not set, then it defults to
9600, as both the kernel and grub do.

> > Is there any more elegant way of doing it?

possibly, but my reasoning works like this:
1) we parse the comand args anyway
2) if the kernel defaults to 9600, then it would _have_ to be told to
use something else, so the cmdline is pretty definitive.

> > Would it be possible to work through a patch or, if not, file a bug
> > for it so we don't forget?

no need; already fixed.

> Unless, of course, TIOCGSERIAL works on /dev/console if it happens to be
> connected to a serial device.  I don't have a system to test.

if this is more elegant, i have a system i can test.
(i386, connected via telix/minicom)

but as this is already fixed, with a minmum of code added, i don't see
much harm.

-john