Re: serial console install - boot-floppies woody 3.0

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 10:27:49PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> "John H. Robinson, IV" <jhriv@ucsd.edu> writes:
>
> > doing a serial console install on i386 architecture, serial console, i
> > noticed upon reboot that everything went smoothly until base-config
> > completed, and the getty was spawned.
> >
> > T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt102
> >
> > my console was using 115200 bps, not 9600.
> >
> > the ``console=ttyS0,115200n8'' was passed to the kernel at boot time, so
> > the serial speed was in /proc/cmdline at install and reboot time.
> >
> > it looks like update_console_info() in
> > ./utilities/dbootstrap/baseconfig.c is the place to fix this.
>
> Hmm, are you suggesting the console args should be parsed from
> /proc/cmdline and then we frob around in inittab to set this?
>
> Is there any more elegant way of doing it?
>
> Would it be possible to work through a patch or, if not, file a bug
> for it so we don't forget?

It seems like it should be possible to determine the baud rate automatically,
but the obvious method (using ioctl(...TIOCGSERIAL...)) requires knowing which
serial device to query, so one would still have to parse /proc/cmdline.

Unless, of course, TIOCGSERIAL works on /dev/console if it happens to be
connected to a serial device.  I don't have a system to test.

--
 - mdz