Re: dual boot with 2 hard drives

> I'm interested in learning how to dual boot with 2 hard drives. Each
> hard drive will have a different OS. I plan to run debian linux 2.3r3
> and Windows 98 on them. Now, I would like it if the linux hard drive is
> the one that always boots normally. The hard drive with the Windows
> should boot only if I do something manually like using a floppy disk or
> something. Is this at all possible? If so, can someone please help me
> get started? I don't know where to begin. Thank you.

I think is easy. Install windows on your first disk.

Install linux on the second disk. Make sure you install LILO.
Customize /etc/lilo.conf something like that:

        boot=/dev/hdc
        root=/dev/hdc1
        install=/boot/boot.b
        map=/boot/map
        delay=20
        default=Linux
      image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
      image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=Linux.old
        read-only
      other=/dev/hda1
        label=win98

Where /dev/hda will be the disk where you installed your windows
and /dev/hdc will be your disk where you installed your linux
(/dev/hdc1 the root partition and /dev/hdc2 the swap).

You will boot normally linux, but if you want windows at the
LILO prompt (which will stay 2 seconds because of the delay=20
in the /etc/lilo.conf) press Ctrl (or Alt or Shift) which will stop
the booting, then Tab will show you a list of choices. Type win98
to boot windows.

If you want to access the data from windows with your linux
you have to edit your /etc/fstab to have a line something like
that:

/dev/hda1       /dos            vfat    umask=002,noexec  0  0

Don't forget to "mkdir /dos".

To see how you install linux read the manual. There also some
HOWTOs which can cover some of the questions you have. Just have
a look at http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html
(Linux+Windows-HOWTO for instance).

Good luck,
	Ionel