e2fsprogs and lib reduction

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> I modified my local boot-floppies tree to use e2fsprogs-bf instead of
> the normal version and found that our lib reduction is not very smart...
>
> if there is no pic lib, the library in the root area is replaced by the
> one living in /lib or /usr/lib (NOT /var/tmp/whatever).
>
> i suspect this is why badblocks was getting broken in the first place,
> we were getting the sid e2fsprogs binaries with the woody e2fsprogs
> libs (if you have the woody version installed on your system).
>
> so my resulting root.bin images had the regular large e2fsprogs
> libraries with the e2fsprogs-bf binaries, not very useful...
>
> i have tracked this down to mklibs.sh which simply copies libraries
> from the default src_path (/lib:/usr/lib) into the root area
> (AFAICT).
>
> im not sure what the best fix for this is, my guess is changing the
> mklibs.sh call to:
>
> $scripts/mklibs.sh $vflag -L $E/lib:$E/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/lib --dest-dir $R/lib $EXECUTABLES

Would be possible to eliminate /lib:/usr/lib entirely?

> and move the rm -rf $E to after mklibs has run.
>
> comments?

Excellent detective work, please make it so.  Would be a plus if you
can test it first.

I was also playing with e2fsprogs-bf.  How did you get past the
problem where modutils depends on sysvinit and sysvinit depends on
e2fsprogs (>= 1.15-1) ?

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>