Re: Install Manual Updates Phase 2

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 02:17:13PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> +  <sect>Recommended Partitioning Scheme
> +    <p>
> +As described above, you should definitely have a separate smaller root
> +partition, and a larger <file>/usr</file> partition, if you have the
> +space.  For examples, see below.  For most users, these two partitions
> +plus the swap partition are sufficient.  This is especially appropriate
> +when you have a single small disk, since breaking out lots of
> +partitions can waste space.

if your going to split off /usr you need to split off /var /tmp and /home as well.

> +    <p>
> +You might need a separate <file>/usr/local</file> partition if you
> +plan to install many programs that are not part of the Debian
> +distribution.  If your machine will be a mail server, you might need
> +to make <file>/var/spool/mail</file> a separate partition.  Often,

/var/mail not /var/spool/mail.  this has been the case since potato.
(/var/spool/mail is a symlink to /var/mail on new potato/woody installs)

> +views.  One rule of thumb which works well is to use as much swap as
> +you have system memory. It also shouldn't be smaller than 16MB, in
> +most cases.  Of course, there are exceptions to these rules. If you
> +are trying to solve 10000 simultaneous equations on a machine with
> +256MB of memory, you may need a gigabyte (or more) of swap.  <![ %m68k
> +[ On the other hand, Atari Falcons and Macs feel pain when swapping,
> +so instead of making a large swap partition, get as much RAM as
> +possible. ]]>

i don't know if it would be worth noting the rediculous swap
requirements of 2.4.. hopefully 2.4's vm will be fixed making it a
moot point.

> The bootloader for OldWorld Power Macintosh machines is ``<prgn>quik</prgn>''.
> You can also use it on CHRP. For all others, such as Apus,
> Be-Box, MBX and PReP we need a generic bootloader.
> The installer will normally succeed in making the hard disk bootable.

heh, in a manner of speaking...

> If &debian; is not booted when you reboot, you may need to reboot the
> installer, select &Execute-a-Shell; and run:
>
> <example>nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/sda)0"</example> where
> 	  <file>/dev/sda</file> is your root disk.

this step is obsolete, dbootstrap will already have run this command,
please document goat sacrifice.

> If you wish to re-run <package>base-config</package> at any point
> after installation is complete, as root run <tt>dpkg-reconfigure
> base-config</tt>.

is this correct? or will running base-config suffice?

> If you choose to install from a filesystem on the harddisk or from a
> non-official CD-ROM, you will be prompted to specify the path to the
> &base-disk-tarball; file. If you have official media, the default
> value should be correct.  Otherwise, enter the path where the base
> system can be found, relative to the media's mount point.  As with the
> &MSG-INSTALL-OS; step, you can either let <prgn>dbootstrap</prgn> find
> the file itself or type in the path at the prompt.

this needs to be fixed as the basedebs.tgz will only be supported for
hard disk and NFS.  not cdrom or network.  probably floppy too.

mostly looks ok to me.  do you think the newworld make system bootable
stuff is clear enough as is?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/