Re: base*.tgz is gone, and why it's gone

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 02:44:35PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> > So how could I figure out what the problem is when the installer drops me
> > out with "can't download adduser"? strace the process?
> well debootstrap is a shell script, what i would suggest is looking at
> the command line that dbootstrap used to run debootstrap with and try
> it yourself from the shell.  either drop the --boot-floppies argument
> or add a 3>&1 to the end of the command.

The original logs were:
# user.info dbootstrap[138]: running '/usr/sbin/debootstrap --boot-floppies woody /target file:/instmnt'
# user.err dbootstrap[138]: Couldn't download adduser

So, switiching to tty2 instead of choosing "install the base system", and
running:

	/usr/sbin/debootstrap woody /target file:/instmnt

Should give you the same error, but will print all the information in the
same place.

The only problem I can really see causing this is having the Filename's in
the Packages files not be correct. If, eg, it's something like:

	Filename: ../pool/main/a/adduser/adduser_...

then things won't work. Basically, whatever the "Filename" filed is, adduser
should be accessible as /instmnt/$adduser_filename_field.

Cheers,
aj