Re: still not out of the woods with idepci / compact kernels

Hi.

In <[🔎] 20010402173622.A681@finlandia.infodrom.north.de>,
  on Mon, 2 Apr 2001 17:36:22 +0200,
    on Re: still not out of the woods with idepci / compact kernels,
 Martin Schulze <joey@finlandia.infodrom.north.de> wrote:

> David Whedon wrote:
> > The below problem is fixed.  The only problem now is an aesthetic one.  The
> > compact and idepci kernels attempt to draw a framebuffer penguin logo at boot.
> > The 2.2.19pre17 version has a messed up color map for me (I tried the
> > 2.2.17-idepci kernel and the color map was fine, so I don't think my hardware
> > is the problem)
>
> I've seen a similar thing when using the "wrong" framebuffer on a laptop.
> Minor nitpick.  Should not be able to hold a release, I'd say.

David, have you tried "video=vc:8" on "boot" prompt of rescue disk ?

  boot-floppies/scripts/rescue/messages/C/f5.txt has lines:

    You can use the following boot arguments at the 0fboot:07 prompt,
    in combination with the boot method (see <09F307>).
    If you use hex numbers you have to use the 0x prefix (e.g., 0x300).

    Disable framebuffer for monitor        0fvideo=vc:807

BTW, I have heard that the boot option "video=vga16:off" works well.
So I think we should note this option in the place of "video=vc:8"
in $LANG/f5.txt above.

frame buffer support is essential for bogl-bterm for utf-8 and
jfbterm for euc-jp.  So if there is no official kernel with frame
buffer support, then i18n boot floppies will die before going real.

Regards.
--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>