Re: Testing woody boot/install process

On 17 Feb 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:
>
> > Ah! I think I understand. I was using the compact image, because it was
> > the only one I could get to download from your web page. (I tried the more
> > obvious, like the 1.44 images, and never got a complete image file to
> > download. The download would always quit before the whole image arrived.)
>
> Did you try the one on people.d.o/~aph/current/ ?

That's where I was getting them from. The browser acted as though the file
transfer completed correctly, but the file size was always different, and
less than a complete image file.

> > They all use the same root filesystem (well, at least I only get the one
> > from the main subdirectory) and are built differently.
>
> No, they all have different root.bins:

OK, I'll try to make sure they match ;-)

> <aph@auric:images-1.44> pwd
> /home/aph/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44
>
> <aph@auric:images-1.44> md5sum root.bin compact/root.bin idepci/root.bin
> 2b228775ec67c0a964f7979bbee2579c  root.bin
> 984508d9768c5c09eb630b172306dd9f  compact/root.bin
> ed54cbb1331d9f26f1d402ae8c9bcfc3  idepci/root.bin
>
> > I suspect these may be the SCSI drivers that are built into the
> > larger images, but compact is probably built with them as modules
> > and the install file system doesn't have them.
>
> I don't know, I don't think that's it...
>
> > I saw this last release as well, and while it is annoying, it doesn't
> > cause installation problems.
>
> Yes, would be nice to fix, the little things are important.

To quote TTMNT "If it's not one thing, it's a whole bunch of things."

They all add up ;-)

Further Progress:

I've worked all the way through the base install, and got all the way to
the "create a boot floppy" when VMware collapsed. Once I put a disk in the
floppy drive, and pressed enter, VMware locked up with the following
message:

   VMware Workstation PANIC
   BUG F(554) 1806 bugNr=2771

Have you seen this yet? Is it possible that this is the result of a flawed
floppy disk?

Everything else looks OK, with the exception of all the references to 2.2,
which is, of course, the previous release. I assume this will fix itself,
once Motd is up-to-date?

How are the license donations going? One of the sales managers has asked
how the evaluation is going, and I gave him some feedback on the product.
I'm not sure just how long this license will work. It perports to be a one
month license, but I think I've already overrun that time period...

Waiting is,

Dwarf