Re: call for volunteers -- woody boot-floppies

"Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:

> Umpf... I tried to built the (head?) potato version on my m68k box at home,
> seems that one is needing some more packages to build than the earlier
> version?

No, it shouldn't.

> > > The biggest problem (besides a missing loop device???)
> >
> > I thought this was fixed?
>
> It was a problem on apus/ppc before I think. This one must be different, I
> do not know which kernel is running on the buildd, seems it has no loop
> compiled and neither as module, although the config says so. Roman does
> not really want to update the kernel, since physical access to the machine
> is a little difficult at the moment, in case something goes wrong with the
> kernel... but we have to update it someday, if we want to build bf.

Ah. Ok, not a bf bug I guess.

> > The woody boot-floppies already download stuff as needed via apt-get.
> Hmm, seems it didn't. make check:

Yes, it does, but as part of 'make root.bin' or 'make rescue.bin'.  It
doesn't auto-download-and-install (ew!! that would be gross!)
dependancies -- those still must be satisfied.

> This is with the woody branch and after I copied a few debs into the
> local/Incoming dirs.

What's in local/Incoming has nothing to do with satisfying the
dependancies in debian/control for building.

> Even after ash, recode and libc6-pic have been copied
> to updates, they are not found?
> stable, testing, unstable are all mentioned in sources.list, do I need to
> configure something else? apt-get is working normally, its the buildd.

No, you need to install the packages which are build dependacies.

> > No need to have a mirror at all.
> If I built this at home, Id like to use a mirror, or have a script to
> download the needed packages to carry them home. I have no permanent
> connection (does apt work via masquerading?).
> If I build at home, Id have no fear crashing the machine, no loop problems,
> and the builds might befinished faster, but this can only be a temporary
> solution, since there will be no "home" in 4-6 weeks anymore.

Well, if you can make an apt-able mirror, and we hack download() in
common.sh, you can have a local mirror if you like.

Personally I don't think it's worthwhile -- just download what you
need with apt-get and then trhow the script into offline mode if you
like.