Re: call for volunteers -- woody boot-floppies

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 09:25:15PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> "Christian T. Steigies" <cts@debian.org> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2001 at 01:07:56AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> >
> > > OTOH, we do want to freeze woody prior to July, so we're going to need
> > > to hobble along with boot-floppies for one more release -- woody.
> >
> > Will we need another set for potato or only for woody?
>
> Both.  I'm preparing a 2.2r3 version of the stable boot-floppies (the
> head) and also working on the woody version (the 'woody' branch).
Umpf... I tried to built the (head?) potato version on my m68k box at home,
seems that one is needing some more packages to build than the earlier
version? But I would not want to build there, since its a big mess of
potato/woody and experimental packages right now, plus I do not have a
current mirror anymore since the pools came out.

> > The biggest problem (besides a missing loop device???)
>
> I thought this was fixed?
It was a problem on apus/ppc before I think. This one must be different, I
do not know which kernel is running on the buildd, seems it has no loop
compiled and neither as module, although the config says so. Roman does
not really want to update the kernel, since physical access to the machine
is a little difficult at the moment, in case something goes wrong with the
kernel... but we have to update it someday, if we want to build bf.

> The woody boot-floppies already download stuff as needed via apt-get.
Hmm, seems it didn't. make check:
checking boot-floppies dependancies
  didn't find glibc-pic
  didn't find slang1-pic
  didn't find dosfstools
  didn't find tetex-bin
  didn't find hfsutils
  didn't find recode
  didn't find pmac-fdisk-cross
  didn't find dpkg-awk
  didn't find debiandoc-sgml
  didn't find ash
  didn't find libwww-perl
make: *** [check_depends] Error 1

This is with the woody branch and after I copied a few debs into the
local/Incoming dirs. Even after ash, recode and libc6-pic have been copied
to updates, they are not found?
stable, testing, unstable are all mentioned in sources.list, do I need to
configure something else? apt-get is working normally, its the buildd.

> No need to have a mirror at all.
If I built this at home, Id like to use a mirror, or have a script to
download the needed packages to carry them home. I have no permanent
connection (does apt work via masquerading?).
If I build at home, Id have no fear crashing the machine, no loop problems,
and the builds might befinished faster, but this can only be a temporary
solution, since there will be no "home" in 4-6 weeks anymore.

> No, it needs to be glibc-pic, which is (at least for all arches I have
> easy access to) provided by libc6-pic.  We can't just use the
> libc6-pic dependancy because on that fun and wacky port, alpha, it's
> called libc6.1-pic .
Ok, but make check bombs out? Well, probably because it does nto see the
package at all.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/