Re: what is the whole purpose of kernel-image-di?

Ben Collins wrote:

> For sparc, there has to be atleast two different boot kernels. One for
> sun4cdm (32bit CPU), and one for sun4u (64bit CPU). SPARC also supports
> native netbooting (via RARP/TFTP). My main concern is whether or not it
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

One of the things we should be working out. I sweated for quite a few hours
to get my second i386 box netboot. It would be great if we could
have the system use netboot on platforms where it's possible.

As you mention, the complexities involved in porting may be overwhelming
if we leave porting as an afterthought. I'd guess that some documentation
would be in order. Can not we extract the dependencies and problems
with different architectures from the existing boot-floppies docs and
source somehow? Perhaps then some sort of a checklist for ports might be done,
not enough time to re-invent the wheel.

Another thing concerning me would be keeping linuxisms to a minimum and
see if we can support hurd in a good way. That would even help freebsd
and other exotic ports (cygwin anyone?) out there.

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr