Re: problems making own boot-floppies for MegaRAID

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 10:42:03AM +0000, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> Thanks for your reply, and the pointer. I've been using the potato
> docs!
>
> However I'm still stuck. I still don't know if my 1.5M kernel will work
> on the rescue floppy. The rescue floppy can't be more than 1.44M, not
> so? Help!

Well you haven't mentioned if your kernel has already been compressed;
they are compressed whenever they go onto floppies. But I think that's
part of the code that creates these. So probably it will fit.

> Entries from the install manual are indented:
> 	The boot-floppies package contains all of the source code and
> 	documentation for the installation floppies.
>
> Mmm. Still can't find any boot-floppies docs.

For sure, there isn't much documentation beyond
/usr/share/doc/boot-floppies/README on how to use those for their
advertised purpose as listed in their description. After unpacking the
source tarball, you just have to dive in to the Makefile, config,
release.sh, rootdisk.sh and make sense of it all. As the README says,
the package is really just there for convenience to hackers ("advanced
Debian maintainers". The main effort for b-f developers is to make
them usable for the mainstream user, and our primary focus is on
making the installation manual as good as it can be for the normal
cases.

What might be easier, if you don't want to dig into the salt mines of
boot-floppies source, is to find an earlier version (before the raid
support was removed). But I'm not sure where you'd look (archive
debian.org?), or what version you'd look for (probably a couple months
old).

> 	Download a set of boot floppies: root, rescue, and driver disks...
> 	One reason to use the compact set, for instance, is that it has only
> 	1 driver disk and your custom kernel will likely have all the
> 	drivers you need built in...copy your custom kernel to /mnt/ linux.
> 	Next run the script rdev.sh which resides in /mnt, which assumes it
> 	will find the kernel as described here.
>
> I guess I can't do the manipulation of the compact images without first
> writing the compact set to some floppies, mounting these and editing the
> contents of the disks. HOWEVER: will my 1.5M file fit in the 1.44M
> space?

For editing, you can do what the b-f build does: create a loopback
image and mount it.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |