Re: choose_medium.c and the /instmnt issue

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 10:09:05AM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 05:08:35PM -0800, John H. Robinson, IV wrote:
> >
> > it seems that i have resolved, either through accident or design, most
> > of the /instmnt problems.
> >
> > the only issue left is the Live CD.
>
> and, of course, after putting the code down for a night, i came up with
> some possibly better ideas:
>
> my proposal:
>  a) add a new method, ``target'' that specifically looks under /target
>  b) look to see if we are a LiveCD, add a method ``LiveCD'' or whatever,
>     that looks under some #define'd variable, so we can change it at will
>     to meet the whims of the LiveCD people. (with some trickery, and if
>     the LiveCD people say they want this, we can override the compiled in
>     default via some bootargs variables)
> c) have ``mounted'' only available if there is a partition mounted on
>    /instmnt
> d) same as it ever was
>
> so b) and c) would be new, on demand, methods, similar in nature to the
> ``cdrom'' method.
>
> this seems to leave everything as robust as possible, while making
> things seem a bit more natural.

FWIW John, my thought is that you've become familiar enough with this
stuff, which no one else has taken the time to do, that I would trust
your judgment as to how it should work. Also, I'm assuming you'll be
able to easily fix it if it does break something someone's
expecting. I just think it's horribly broken now, and that usually
means rethinking assumptions and trying to build in robustness as you
are doing.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |