Re: lilo and i18n (was Re: 3.0.18 success (at last))

>> Do we have the technology to put more languages on the 2880 disks compared
>> to the 1440 ones?
>
>Hmm, I don't believe so, since it just uses the same root.bin and gets
>split.

That's what I suspected.  Oh well.

>Actually the problem with stuffing in languages, I just realized, is
>that we'd have to know the compressed size of the root.bin file in
>advance.  Hmm.

Well, I think we could make something work.  Kind of:

while $langs_not_included; do
  mv root.bin root.bin.1
  mount $floppy ...
  add another language
  umount $floppy
  gzip -9 -c < $floppy > root.bin
  if [ root.bin too big ]; then
    mv root.bin.1 root.bin
    break;
  fi
done

I dunno how long all this gzipping would take, but I wouldn't have thought it
would be too outrageous compared to the build time we have already.  Might be
worth a go, anyway.

p.