lilo and i18n (was Re: 3.0.18 success (at last))

Phil Blundell <pb@nexus.co.uk> writes:

> The LILO stuff needs a bit more thought.  The udma100-ext3 situation where
> hde is actually the "primary" IDE interface clearly needs to be made to
> work one way or another.

Yah.

> I'm not so sure about the screwball case where
> someone has hooked his drives up to hdc/hdd rather than hda/hdb; that one
> could maybe be dealt with by documentation.

Also a possible warning from dbootstrap... ?

> This whole business involves second guessing what the BIOS is going
> to do, and it may not be possible to arrive at a situation where
> everything works straight off.

Of that I am certain.  :)

> Well, dbootstrap can cope with that.  It will tailor its language chooser
> based on what .trm files it finds at run time.  So yeah, this might work.
> Do we have the technology to put more languages on the 2880 disks compared
> to the 1440 ones?

Hmm, I don't believe so, since it just uses the same root.bin and gets
split.

Actually the problem with stuffing in languages, I just realized, is
that we'd have to know the compressed size of the root.bin file in
advance.  Hmm.