Re: potato installs and the aftermath

--- Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore-devel.com> wrote:
>brian r <randomaccess@canada-11.com> writes:
>
>> First, once I have Debian running I really like it.  Especially the
>> apt-get solution for upgrading.  However, I have installed Debian on
>> 3 different workstations and 1 file server and the process was very
>> different each time.
>
>How so?

Well, as far as debugging I don't know if I can remember the details enough.  I mentioned 1 case below in the previous email.  Another time, everything worked beautifully and it didn't complain when installing modules like ppa.  But the last time I couldn't install ppa, or a nic module.  It didn't ask me about whether I wanted to use gpm and just didn't install it.  (I don't want gpm, but last time it asked me.)
Further, this last time I tried switching from RH 7.1 to Debian 2.2r3 because of the apt-get feature.  I tried to leave my home partition alone but it complained about with the lilo can't be beyond 1024 cylinder problem.  So, I repartitioned everything and whacked my home partition and my root partition in the same spot as before and it worked fine.  Incidentally, my home and usr and swap were in an extended partition.

>>  From the point of choosing which device driver
>> modules I want to getting everything working.  Why?  One time I
>> choose the simple method for choosing packages and then it didn't
>> give me a choice but just installed a minimal set and quit--e.g., no
>> man command or pages!
>
>The easy method is called 'tasksel'.  You can run it even after
>installing (as root).  You are probably going to 'tasksel', but not
>picking any packages.  That is the only reason why it might behave in
>the way you desribe.  Take the time to learn how to select and
>deselect packages.

Yes, I am familiar with tasksel and I admit I may have done something wrong to cause it to skip that step, however I can't recall any odd actions on my part.  I really like Debian over RH however it is certainly not for newbies on their own--but maybe that is not the intended audience.

Sign up for FREE email from canada-11 at http://www.canada-11.com