Re: failed install : bf 3.0.17 ppc (powermac)

"Fabrice Lorrain (home)" <fabrice.lorrain@chello.fr> writes:

> First try: using an USB floppy drive...
> Doesn't seem to be supported. Might be nice if it were
> written in the "woody install manual".

Hmm, yah, talk to Chris Tillman.

> 2nd try: network boot
> hmmm, boot enet doesn't work, some google search + reading,
> works with "boot enet:0" --> patch in "install manual" ?
> It seems I didn't find the right image to load through
> tftp (dhcp + tftp + logs + tcpdump everything was find)
> but I keep getting a freeze in openboot during the tftp.
> What image am I suppose to use?

Chris was working on the netboot documentation.  It should be improved
now I think, I'm not sure if that work was done.  I don't know
offhand, but I have installed newworld powermacs this way before.

> 3rd try: yaboot
> Last just because I though a had only hfs+ partitions.
> Did some reading in d-powerpc, and I didn't get a clear
> picture about yaboot booting over hfs+. Is it supported
> or not ?

Sorry, I don't know.  Not being very helpful here... :)

> Problems on the console during the boot:
> S20modutils, depmod -a seg fault on appletalk.o (bunch of Bad symbol).

Really?  Can you install the latest kernel-image-2.2.20-powermac or
whatever kernerl images and recheck this?

> reboot, boot through yaboot, mount /dev/hdbwhatever /target, chroot
> /target.
> base-config, answer a bunch of question (no tasksel, no dselect)
> everythg
> seems ok, but at the end base-config keep telling me that one
> package failed to install. Retry --> no. Leaving base-config give
> me the following message on the console :
> "hostname --fqdn gave non-zero exit code 11"
>
> Now these are the logs in /var/log/installer.log (top to bottom)
> (side note 1: what are you guys using to read that f*** file ??)
> " base-config: line 42: 216 Seg fault apt-get clean"
>  (yeah, apt-get seg fault on whatever parameter)
> "Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
> /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 57"
> I got that message all over the log almost after each menu of
> base-config.
> After the ppp menu, I've the following line :
> base-config: 40apt-setup exit with return code 139.

Sounds liike serious disk corruption.  Try booting with
'hda=noautotune' or some such option.  I've seen this problem on
PowerPC before.

> This is where I stand for so far ;-)
> Following a mail in d-powerpc I also move /etc/inittab.real over
> /etc/inittab at some time yesterday.

Ew.

> Any clue what's going on ?? Is it just me or the installation is
> completly broken ??

It's you or your hardware + the kernel not getting along.

> Last remark, I didn't find fsck on the rescue disk. Any reason ?

Try e2fsck.