failed install : bf 3.0.17 ppc (powermac)

[no CC, thanks]

Hi,

I tried to install woody (bf 3.0.17) on a G4 this weekend.
harware : G4, 400Mhz, 1Go RAM, 2 ide harddrives

First try: using an USB floppy drive...
Doesn't seem to be supported. Might be nice if it were
written in the "woody install manual".

2nd try: network boot
hmmm, boot enet doesn't work, some google search + reading,
works with "boot enet:0" --> patch in "install manual" ?
It seems I didn't find the right image to load through
tftp (dhcp + tftp + logs + tcpdump everything was find)
but I keep getting a freeze in openboot during the tftp.
What image am I suppose to use?

3rd try: yaboot
Last just because I though a had only hfs+ partitions.
Did some reading in d-powerpc, and I didn't get a clear
picture about yaboot booting over hfs+. Is it supported
or not ?

first boot, got the installation prompt, boot and ...

"...ok
copying OF device tree...done
Calling quiesce...
booting...
_"
... the G4 is frozen (no response from the keyboard, the cdrom
stop). After some tests I gave a try with mem=512M and it works.
Seems to be a kernel bug here, but it might be nice if the solution
were documented.

>From there, the first stage installation went pretty fluently, no
logs on any tty. Reboot, but I wasn't able to log for the second
stage install (some pam message, doesn't say much).

Problems on the console during the boot:
S20modutils, depmod -a seg fault on appletalk.o (bunch of Bad symbol).

reboot, boot through yaboot, mount /dev/hdbwhatever /target, chroot
/target.
base-config, answer a bunch of question (no tasksel, no dselect)
everythg
seems ok, but at the end base-config keep telling me that one
package failed to install. Retry --> no. Leaving base-config give
me the following message on the console :
"hostname --fqdn gave non-zero exit code 11"

Now these are the logs in /var/log/installer.log (top to bottom)
(side note 1: what are you guys using to read that f*** file ??)
" base-config: line 42: 216 Seg fault apt-get clean"
 (yeah, apt-get seg fault on whatever parameter)
"Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Format/822.pm line 57"
I got that message all over the log almost after each menu of
base-config.
After the ppp menu, I've the following line :
base-config: 40apt-setup exit with return code 139.

This is where I stand for so far ;-)
Following a mail in d-powerpc I also move /etc/inittab.real over
/etc/inittab at some time yesterday.

Any clue what's going on ?? Is it just me or the installation is
completly broken ??

Last remark, I didn't find fsck on the rescue disk. Any reason ?

@+,

	Fab