potato installs and the aftermath

Hi,
I have a comment and a question.
Installing:
-----------
First, once I have Debian running I really like it.  Especially the apt-get solution for upgrading.  However,  I have installed Debian on 3 different workstations and 1 file server and the process was very different each time.  From the point of choosing which device driver modules I want to getting everything working.  Why?  One time I choose the simple method for choosing packages and then it didn't give me a choice but just installed a minimal set and quit--e.g., no man command or pages!

cdrom and audio:
-----------------
I want one of my workstations to be an MP3 server.
It is a Pentium 150, 48 MB of RAM, and 15 GB HD.  I installed Afterstep, and a bunch of cd/audio/mp3 software from the potato cd. My problem is cdrom won't read audio cd's but I can mount data cds.
If I run:              I get the message:
Grip 2.91              "Unable to open the cd device. Please make..."
gtcd 1.0.51            "Error accessing the cdrome device....
                        Reason: Permission denied."
similarly with other cd audio software.
I have an internal, ATAPI cdrom.  My fstab for cdrom is
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro.user,noauto 0 0
And /dev/cdrom is soft-linked to /dev/hdc.
Permissions (when I do ls -l):
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root       /cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3     /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 0 /dev/hdc

How do I fix this?

Sign up for FREE email from canada-11 at http://www.canada-11.com