Re: reiserfs notes

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 01:37:08AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> "John H. Robinson, IV" <jhriv@ucsd.edu> writes:
>
> > 1) no mkfs.reiserfs in the root.bin
>
> scripts/rootdisk/SMALL_BASE_LIST_i386_reiserfs lists 'sbin/mkreiserfs'.
> Isn't that the right thing?  If not, please check in a fix.

the scripts/rootdisk/SMALL_BASE_LIST_i386_reiserfs is correct.

> > 2) Install Kernel and Driver Modules ->
> >     harddisk   : partition on the hard disk ->
> >      /dev/hda6: Linux native (happens to be reiserfs) ->
> >       Mount Failed (The partition was not mounted successfully.)
>
> I would suggest booting with 'debug' option, trying the actual 'mount'
> arguments as reported in the system log when you use debug.

the problem is interesting: the code looks at the partition number (82)
and then reverse maps that to ``ext2'' and mounts with that -t option.

since ext3, ext2, xfs, and resierfs all share that same code, i wrote a
little routine that uses the magic number code from partition_config.c,
added it to util.c, and used that if the partition is ``ext2''.

it works for reiserfs, anyway.

* code not checked in yet, want to test with ext2

> > 3) ftp.us.debian.org seems to be out of date, the modules installed were
> >    2.2.19-reiserfs
>
> Huh, that's wierd.  Seems like a build problem -- try 'make distclean'
> before building.

will do.

-john