Installation trouble

I am searching for some installation help.  I am trying to install
stable Debian on the following system:

Pentium 4 1.7 Socket 478
Asus P4T-E Socket 478
1GB RDRAM
TDK 24x burner
3COM 905c
Belkin Firewire PCI Card
Leadtek WinFast Titanium 500TD
Samsun 170T Flat panel display with digital and analog in

When I boot the rescue disk (of the stable compact, normal, idepic, and
unstable compact) it proceeds along just fine.  When it asks for the
root disk, I insert the disk, hit enter and it gives me this error:

request_module[block-major-2]: Root fs not mounted

And prompts for me to insert the disk and hit enter again, then I get
this:

Of course then it does nothing.  It doesn't even spin up the floppy
drive to see if anything is there.  It's like it lost where it was
supposed to look to find the root disk.  I tried installing RedHat 7.2
and it also gives a kernel panic when using the digital video
connection.  If I go back to analog, it will at least bring up the
install screen.  When installing Solaris 8 it also crashes when using
either the analog or digital connection.

Any ideas on how to get Debian on this system would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Richard Frovarp