Re: woody install on alpha

Robert Lemmen <robertle@cube.spacenet.de> writes:

> i just installed woody on an alpha system and i encountered a couple
> of potential issues/problems that you might want to hear about:
>
> my system is 164ux based and uses arcbios. i downloaded the floppy
> images and milo from "3.0.17-2001-11-2".
>
> - the ruffian milo doesn't seem to be able to read from fat
>   filesystems, and therefore can't boot the rescue floppy. i
>   replaced it with a version i ripped of a suse cd that can read
>   fat. this one says "v1.1 Jay's hacked version" on startup.

Are you sure you're talking about the MILO and not ldmilo.exe? What is
the error message you get?

> - the driver-1.bin and driver-2.bin seem to be corrupt, since they
>   cannot be read by dbootstrap. the md5sums are ok, and the rescue
>   floppy can be read too.

Hm, weird. What exactly does dbootstrap say? Perhaps you could try
using the report option, which will write a log to a floppy.

>   if i dd these files to floppies, these floppies don't seem to have
>   a filesystem known to me/my kernel any more. i did the
>   installation from net and didn't need the floppies any more.

That's normal, they just contain a splitted tar with a few bytes
header on each disk.

        Falk