Re: 2 problems with installation regarding network config and boot loaders

On Sun, Dec 09, 2001 at 04:09:57PM -0500, esoR ocsirF wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> First, I am not currently subscribed, so send me an email if you want to
> ask questions.
>
> I just tried an install based on a CD image found here
> ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/woody/
>
> I would like to say that the overall feel seems to be improving, keep up
> the great work.
>
> There are some problems though, number one;
> I currently live at the end of  an ADSL connection, this requires pppoe.
> However the install does not provide an exit during the network config
> phase which I can bypass the setup network option. This is because I
> have an ether net card (actually 2) installed and the installation
> process assumes that I should be able to use it.
>
> Proposed solution, either put pppoe in the base install or provide an
> opt out in network configuration.

Well, you can opt out of it. You just don't get reasonable next-step
defaults any more, i.e. you have to skip manually down to the
succeeding steps because the installer is convinced you're crazy.

You can always switch to VC 2 to get other work done, you knew that
right?

> Secondly, I have multiple versions installed on multiple partitions and
> GRUB is my friend. There does not appear to be an option (I believe
> there used to be) where I can say "I already have a boot loader" and "
> no I don't want to install one".
>
> Proposed solution, put an option in the make bootable section for "I
> already have a boot loader", or better yet, include grub (probably not
> going to happen this late in the release cycle :-/ ).

You got that right. I'm sure it will be an option (at least) in the
following release.

--
*--v------ Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 For PowerPC -----v----*
|  <http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-     |