assessing i18n (was Re: Flashing screen with cvs bootdisks)

I think it's a valid question whether or not to use the language
chooser.  It's true that it has taken stability down a notch and
that's not a good thing.

I'm not ready to give up on it yet.  There's been a lot of work put
forward on this stuff; I think it's extremely close to being in good
shape (more on that later).  In short it's something of a point of
pride.

I will *not* turn on and release with USE_LANG_CHOOSER if the
stability of any flavors which don't use it or any arches which don't
use it is compromised.  Nor will I use it if the quality of those
arches/flavors which are i18n'd suffers a significant step back in
quality or robustness.

Nor right now we're only i18n on i386's compact and idepci flavors,
and ARM.  So assuming we can ensure that the other i386 flavors are ok
(see below) and all arches are building ok, I think it's an acceptable
risk to upload it even with some problems (expecting that we can get
2-4 more revs out by release time).

FYI, I just spotted a nasty bug where on i386 all flavors were using
the i18n dbootstrap -- this will be fixed shortly.  I'm making a
change so that the i18n version of dbootstrap also uses a completely
different build dir which I think will head off some problems at the
pass.