Re: I tested the latest boot disks

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 06:56:45PM +0100, A Mennucc1 wrote:
> hi
>
> preface: I am a debian developer; I was needing an extra X box
> (=small PC running X for connecting to another host),
>  and I had an old pentium with a 200Mb hard disk spare

> when  I chose 'edit the sources list'...
> (I wanted to add my personal small debian mirror)
> I found myself in 'vi' . THIS IS EVIL.  why cant I use 'nano'?
> So here is a nice suggestion: first time the user needs to edit something,
> the menu configuration should ask
> 'what do you want to use as a simple editor for text files?
>  vi (for long time hackers)?
>  nano(for normal people)?'
> and then remember the answer (maybe setting a dpkg-alternative)

Evil, I agree. The priority for nvi is set to 110, while the priority
for nano is 40. I wrote a bug on this and the nvi maintainer agreed
its priority was too high; he's resetting it to 21 IIRC, which will
leave nano as top in a virgin system.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |