Re: Building custom boot-floppies

#include <hallo.h>
S. Salman Ahmed wrote on Fri Nov 30, 2001 um 03:50:48PM:

> I am interested in building b-f from CVS. Are there instructions
> somewhere on how to do this ?

Visit cvs.debian.org and read instructions in
debian-boot/boot-floppies/README-CVS

checkout it
editor config
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc

> Also, is it possible to customize b-f by putting a different kernel or

Yes. You can make your own kernel-image packages, give them a higher
version and put it to the additional local packages. See config file.

Since the kernel has to meet some requirements, you better take the
config files of the existing kernel-image packages used by BFs and
modify them a bit.

> hacking in support for things like ReiserFS, XFS, etc. ? Are there are
> instructions on how to do this ?

We have support for this things. Please note that if you are going to
use a 2.4.x kernel, you cannot take the config from official kernel
images since the use another boot scheme (via initrd). Instead, you
would have to make a essentials-built-in configuration. Somewhere in my
people.debian.org/~blade directory is a config file which I used
succefully to build BFs with 2.4.9 (some months ago).

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Heute kann man ja kaum noch eine AOL-CD aus dem Fenster werfen, ohne
jemanden zu treffen, der einen SuSE-Karton unter dem Arm trägt.