Re: zip dependency for riscpc install archive

Eduard Bloch wrote:
> #include <hallo.h>
> Adam Di Carlo wrote on Wed Nov 28, 2001 um 08:09:35PM:
> > > Why's it illegal to use programs from non-US for this kind of thing?
> > > I don't really understand why zip is in non-US in the first place,
> > > is that some kind of patent issue?
> >
> > See above.  Zip is in non-US/main because it's compiled with
> > crypto options.
>
> If that is the only problem, did nobody try convince the zip maintainer
> to provide a non-non-US-compliant version? Just a spin-off, without
> crypto and probably reduced in features, only to fit the needs of BF
> builders?

Nobody tried so far, but it would be silly, since crypto packages in
non-US/main will be moved (or uploaded) to main before the release.

There are a number of places where policy says "this is a must" but we
only really care about it being true at release time. For example,
packages must not depend on others with lower priority values, but the
ftp admins usually downgrade the priority of a standard library (say,
libncurses4) before all standard packages using such library are
recompiled with the new one (say, libncurses5) and everybody seems to
consider this premature downgrading of the old library as conformant to policy.

For this reason, I think a Build-Dependency on zip should be ok.