[Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>] Installed base-config 1.33 (all source)

   * base-config: Added a KEEP_BASE_DEBS, which, if set to yes, will inhibit
     the deletion of the apt cache when base-config runs on a new install. This
     can be passed to lilo or whatever. Thanks to bod for the idea, which hits
     exactly the mix of unobtrusiveness and functionality I wanted.

We will need to document this.  I don't think we need to automate the
setting of this variable, although we might want to put something
about this in a message to the user before the reboot (unless 'quiet'
is set).