Re: LC build failing

#include <hallo.h>
Adam Di Carlo wrote on Wed Nov 14, 2001 um 02:33:41AM:
> > make it fit in a 1.44 floppy. I don't think any kind of reduction would
> > help... there's just too many things there.
>
> Oh!
>
> If you did, I didn't ever realize it.  Is this really true?

Yes, unfortunately.

$ du -s -c *trm
1680    total

$ tar c *.trm | gzip -9 | wc -c
 506359

IMHO no way to make it fit on the 1.44M disk.

> If this is so, how come there is no way to build LC only for 2.88k
> images?  Shouldn't someone work the logic of the makefiles to enable
> this if LANG_CHOOSER is on?

IMHO yes. Since the 2.2.x kernel have <= ~1040kB, we should have on
2.88M at least 330kB, so about the half of supported languages should
fit on the disk. Unfortunately, I did not have success on building
LC-able BFs with limited number of languages. Doing so, dbootstrap
crashed after complaining "could not load messages.trm".

So, what is your opinion on this topic? Limit the number of languages?
Or look for better boot options for the CD (patched Grub) which would
make it possible to use non-default boot image format, so we get more
space?

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Wenn ich's nicht compilieren kann, ist es nicht frei
                                  -- Joey in #debian.de