Re: Installation success on Powerbook G4 (TiBook, the newest model)

On Sat, Nov 10, 2001 at 04:23:18PM +0100, Othmar Pasteka wrote:
> after that go on as usual. you should use the "Edit kernel parameters" or
> something like that and enter there the video=ofonly option so it
> becomes added to the yaboot.conf file so that oyu don't have to
> provide it yourself when you reboot.

video=ofonly of course should not be necessary and wouldn't be if we
added the option to boot/install with a 2.4 kernel, 2.2.19 simply
won't cut it for most of the newwer apple machines, and ofonly video
is NOT an acceptable long term option (its slow, X won't work right
etc).

that being said it seems to make sense to me that if video=ofonly was
supplied for b-f boot it should be automatically added to the default
additional boot paramaters.  any objections to this?  (it would be
powerpc only of course).

> the only real issue is the OpenFirmware sillyness, but that will
> be resolved, i hope :).

there is a documentation problem with G4 OpenFirwmare, someone needs
to properly analize it and find the proper way to configure the
netboot server.  its also possible it only works with a proprietary
Apple extended version of dhcpd.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/