Re: documentation bugs to fix

On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 03:37:10AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Chris Tillman <tillman@azstarnet.com> writes:
>
> > +<sect1>Setting Up Your Mouse
> > +<p>
> > +The mouse can be used in both the Linux console (gpm) and X windows.
> > +The preferred configuration / signal flow are:
> > +<example>
> > +mouse => /dev/psaux  => gpm => /dev/gpmdata -> /dev/mouse => X
> > +         /dev/ttyS0             (repeater)        (symlink)
> > +         /dev/ttyS1
> > +</example>
>
> AFAIK the PS/2 stuff (psaux) is pretty much totally i386 specific so
> should be marked up as such.  The default case you talk should be bus
> mice/serial mice, which don't need a repeater, and are also reasonable
> arch-indep.  Talk about psaux and the repeater requirement *after* you
> talk about the basic, simpler stuff.
>
> Why go to this much technical depth anyway?  The user perspective
> should be here installation of gpm, which will normally come in after
> tasksel or dselect runs (since it's a standard pkg).
>
> So please give this bit another cutg.

Well basically I'm way over my head here, I was just copying what the
submitter had suggested and cleaned up the grammar a bit. I need specific
help from someone more knowledgeable than I am on this section.

/me can't even get X running yet

> > + <sect1>Application Version Management
> > +<p>
> > +       Alternative versions of applications are managed by
> > +       update-alternatives. You can set your preferred vi by modifying
> > +       the symlinks in /etc/alternatives/. For example, /usr/bin/vi ->
> > +       /etc/alternatives/vi -> {nvi, vim, whatever you like}.
>
> Incorrect.  Just point them to the update-alternatives man page.  It's
> better to use 'update-alternatives' rather than fudge with the
> symlinks yourslef (slave links, priorities).  But don't reproduce
> stuff already in that man page, just point to it.

Cool, this sounded a little too detailed. (These are from your little SysAdmin
manual, you may not have recognized them after so long).

> > + <sect1>Kernel Image Management
> > +<p>
> > +       The debian way of building a kernel is also somewhat different.
>
> Hmm.  Shouldn't we talk about installing one of the stock kernels first?
>
> Start by explaining that the user is using one of the stock kernels
> now, even though the kernel-image-* package won't show up as
> installed.  This is just an artifact of the way the install system
> works.
>
> The benefits of using the kernel-images is that it hooks in with the
> boot loader.  For instance, on i386 at least, you can install a
> kernel-image, maybe it blows up, but you have 'LinuxOLD' to fall back
> on.
>
> Explain that 2.4 kernels are available as kernel-images in Woody, even
> if they aren't used to install with.
>
> On i386 explain that the compact and idepci flavors don't come with
> sound, so the user might wanna try the vanilla kernel.  But that
> doesn't work for a lot of people, they might have to build their own.
> Now we segue install kernel building....

The kernel-baking section (a little lower) is really where this belonged, I
moved a few of the words about the advantages of using debs down there and
jettisoned the rest. I'll add a little about these hints too.

|  .''`.  |   Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>          |
| : :'  : |   debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>  |
| `. `'`  |      Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com      |
|   `-    |            May the Source be with you                |