Re: [debian-installer] Full CDROM install

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> What i actually have and that may be valuable for debian-installer is :
> - a cdrom detection script using a stripped down discover (I have done a
>   discover udeb but unfortunately Branden Robinson didn't integrate it in
>   its package even if I asked him), this is commited in tools/cdrom-detect

Looks interesting, but I'll let it sit for a while since we're not
aiming at cdrom installs quite yet.

> - an automatic partitionner using libparted (works only for disks having
>   enough free room, or 1-2 big FAT partitions, and of course msdos disk
>   labels only)
>   I'll commit it soon in tools/autpartkit but it will probably need to
>   be modified since it mounts the partition and writes /etc/fstab.new in the
>   target directory.

Nice peice of work. I do think a lot of what it does probably needs to
be split out, and I am trying to think of a reasonable way to split up
the process into reasonable chunks without too many interdependancies.

But I really like the idea of what this is and what it does. Would be
great to see this, manual partitioning, and [c]fdisk all on a menu to
chose from at install time.

> And it writes /etc/windows_part with the name of the
>   bootable windows partition found.

Was that some special requirement of your project? We can just comment
it out.. Oh, grub setup, I see. Clearly it is useful for the bootloader
setup to have hints about what is the root partition, and what other
partitions need to be bootable too.

> I have several other things but that I don't think they should be used by
> debian-installer (they are too hackish) :
> - a basic hook mechanism for launching shell script whenever some events
>   happens (after-unpack-target, after-setup-bootloader), i'm using
>   run-parts to launch scripts put in

Hmm, what did you use that for?

> - remove devfs, it does totally confuse parted and grub-install

Ugh. Ugh. I hope this doesn't keep us from using autopartkit.

By the way, what's up with this:

revision 1.81
date: 2001/08/06 17:18:06;  author: hertzog;  state: Exp;  lines: +38 -9
* Makefile updated to build good floppies (with basic terminfo files)
  and various things (status -> status.udeb)

I confess I don't see the point of that symlink.

And:

revision 1.82
date: 2001/09/03 15:48:13;  author: hertzog;  state: Exp;  lines: +12 -8
* Better way of creating the required /dev files.

I think that the rootskel udeb is just supposed to provide them. Why is
making them by hand in the Makefile better? The tree target is already
too big. I'm moving this to rootskel..

--
see shy jo