Re: mount_partition() and filesystem types

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 23:55:45 -0800
"Ethan Benson" <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 04:52:18PM +1300, Mark van Walraven wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > dbootstrap's mount_partition() goes to a lot of trouble to work out what
> > to pass to mount(1) on the -t option.  Busybox's mount seems to support
> > "-t auto".  Why not just let mount do the work?
>
> i wrote all that carefull code to make sure it passes the right type
> to mount, and i did it for a very good reason:  mount -t auto is
> inherently UNRELIABLE.

if mount -t is unreliable, then that is a bug in _mount_ that should be
fixed.

> i would thank you not to screw up my careful code by using the lazy
> hack that is -t auto.

I dont see how -t auto is a lazy hack.

If mount -t auto is still unreliable then it makes sense to specify the fs
type, but when -t auto is fixed it will make sense to change back for
simplicy and avoiding further duplication of work.

Glenn