Re: Help with floppy-less laptop, NON-trivial problem!!!

Paul

If you have done a Debian install before, it is not that bad.

Also if you can before hand prepare a 2.2.19 boot kernel floppy with
nfts compiled in, call it say, linux.nft
there is a considerable simplification.
1) Read the files on the Rescue floppy for instructions. On some other
Linux system, mount the boot Rescue floppy
a.  mount /dev/fd0 -t msdos /mnt
b.  cp linux.nft /mnt/linux
c.  cd /mnt
d.  ./rdev.sh
e.  cd (off the floppy)
f.  umount /mnt
The modified Rescue floppy is now ntfs  ReadOnly competent

2)  A C:\debian\ local repository, rather than needing a D: vfat
partition for the install files
3)  Then proceed with the usual floppy initiated installation.
4)  Even if you can't immediately boot from the hard disk, the
installation can be enriched either through modem or ethernet
conncections.

Also if the laptop has a Win95/98/Me partition its even easier because
the ntfs capability is not needed.
There being only a single Win2000 partition is what made it extra
onerous.

MarvS